Calvary Presbyterian Church
St. Clairsville, Ohio

God Through Christ is Our Foundation
Proclaiming the Word is Our Purpose
Reaching Out is Our Mission

Your Subtitle text
History
1700s
Twelve years after the July 4, 1776 Declaration of Independence, a settlement was made on the site of what is now the town of Bridge­port. Nine years later, the first settlement was made in the vicinity of St. Clairsville. The early settlers were from Pennsylvania, of Scotch­-Irish descent and of Presbyterian belief. In 1798, a church called Richland (now First Presbyterian Church) was organized.
 
1800s
In 1824, at Crooked Creek (New Concord) the second Ohio Presbytery of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was formed. It was by authority of this presbytery that the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church of St. Clairsville was organized in 1830. Due to changes in the boundaries of presbyteries, the congregation of St. Clairsville was under the jurisdiction of Steubenville Presbytery from October 1839 to April 1855.

During the pastorate of the Rev. Alexander Young (1842-1857), the congregation grew rapidly. During this period, a Women's Foreign Missionary Society was organized with Mrs. Young as president. This society changed its name over the years but still exist as Presbyterian Women in Calvary Presbyterian Church.

Due to the denominational union of 1858 (United Presbyterian Church of North America), the congregation became the UP Church of St. Clairsville. On April 15, 1887, a cyclone completely destroyed the church. The congregation subscribed $10,000 for the erection of a new build­ing. The $26,000 edifice was dedicated on March 7,1889.
 
1900s
The congregation continued to grow to a membership of 355 in 1925. During this period a parsonage was built at 104 South Mari­etta Street, on the site of what is now the Youth Room and part of the Fellowship Hall. At the time of the centennial celebration in 1930, the membership stood at 403. During the pastorate of the Rev. Frank Montgomery, Ph.D., a two-story education building was erected and then dedicated in 1957 and the congregation grew to 630 members. Youth Club for 2nd through 9th graders was instituted, a full-time secretary was hired, and the life-tenure eldership was changed to rotary basis. It is also during that time that the U.P. Church of North America and the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. united to become the United Presbyterian Church in the USA and our own congregation became Calvary Church, United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.

The Rev. Richard M. Ferguson and his family had hardly settled in St. Clairsville in 1960 when a fire completely destroyed the sanctu­ary on May 27, 1960. The Christian Education Building escaped se­rious damages. After two alternatives in the rebuilding of the church did not prove possible, Muskingum Presbytery gave permission in November 1961 to borrow the money to rebuild on the same site. The old manse was removed, and ground was broken on June 10, 1962. The dedication of the new sanctuary took place on September 15, 1963. The work of the church continued over the years with the pastors and the congregation concentration their efforts on worship, Christian education, outreach, mission, and stewardship. 

The pipe organ was added in 1982 and was played for the first time on Easter Sunday. Following the reunion of the northern United Presbyterian Church (USA) and the southern Presbyterian Church in the United States in 1983, we became Calvary Presbyterian Church. Other improvements have included additional parking space, provided in 1986.


 
PASTORS WHO SERVED OUR CONGREGATION:
1800s
The Rev. Hugh Parks (1831-1838), The Rev. Alexander Young, D.D., L.L.D. (, (1842-1867), The Rev. J.B. Johnston, D.D. (1859-1874), The Rev. Thomas Balph, D.O. (1875-1906)
1900s
The Rev. Lytle R. Free, D.D. (1908-1913), The Rev. Ira F. Leeper (1914-1925), The Rev. Frank C. Ramsay (1925-1927), The Rev. J. Frank Campbell (1928-1938), The Rev. Robert P. MacDonald, D.D. (1939-1947), The Rev. Frank William Montgomery, Ph.D. (1948-1959), Dr. Russell Hutchison (Pulpit Supply) (1959-1960), The Rev. Richard M. Fer­guson (1960-1970), The Rev. Charles Lee Filker (1971-1975), Dr. Paul N. Elbin (Interim Minister) (1975-1976), The Rev. Edward R Mooney (1976-1991), The Rev. Thomas L. Parsons (1978-1981), Dr. Harold Kaser (pulpit Supply) (1991-1992), The Rev. Irvin L. Nussdorfer (1992-1995), The Rev. Thomas Armstrong (Interim Minister) (1995-1998), Dr. Bill N. Lawrence (Session Moderator) (1998-2000), S. James Kocsis (Stated Supply) (1999­-2000).
2000s
Now serving: The Rev. Laurie C. Armstrong (January 2001-).